Bethel Neighborhood Center
Bethel opened its doors on April 1, 1911, as a mission center of The Women’s Baptist Home Mission Society, which is now known as the American Baptist Women’s Ministries. The primary mission was to serve needy families living near or working in the meat-packing plants of the West Bottoms of Kansas City. Many of them were new immigrants from Eastern European countries.
The neighborhood has gone through many changes over the last 106 years, but the mission remains the same — To offer a renewed sense of hope to our multi-ethnic community by sharing material, educational, health, social and spiritual resources that help people bridge ethnic and economic boundaries to achieve self-sufficiency.